LASIK stands for LASER IN SITU KERATO MILEUSIS .It is performed by using the precision and accuracy of the excimer laser. LASIK changes the shape of cornea to improve the way rays of light are focused by the eye, thus elimination or reducing refractive error.
- An instrument called keratome glides across the cornea. Thin layer of cornea (corneal flap) is Lifted up.
- Accurately calculated energy pulses from excimer laser reshape the internal cornea. By computerized adjustment it is possible to treat high levels of short-sightedness (myopia i.e. minus number) and moderate levels of long-sightedness (Hypermetropia i.e. plus number ) including high levels of astigmatism in time as short as 10 sec.
- Corneal flap is repositioned back.
- The whole procedure takes not more than 10 minutes for each eye. It is done only with topical anaesthesia in form of eye drop, no injection is required. The procedure is nearly painless. Excimer laser is cool non-thermal laser beam that is why there is no surrounding tissue damage.
Are you a candidate for LASIK??
- You should be at least 18 years old and above (Refractive error before 18 years of age continues to change )
- You should not be pregnant or nursing as these conditions might change the measured refraction of the eye.
- You should not be on prescription drugs such as Accutane (Isotretinoin) or oral prednisolone.
- Your eyes must be healthy & your glass prescription stable. If you are a myopic you should postpone LASIK until your refraction stabilizes as myopia may continue to increase in some pts until their mid to late 20’s
- LASIK is not recommended for pts with diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, glaucoma, and herpes and other eye infections, cataract. You need to pre- inform your surgeon of the same.
The WEI advantage
- USFDA approved gen-next Allegretto wave light eye Q 400 HZ excimer Laser machine.
- It is the fastest laser system using perfect pulse technology to safely & accurately control every single Laser pulse from start to end, offers customised treatment that incorporates wave front principles.
- Every procedure is tailored to the needs of patient’s corneal curvature and refraction with the intention to preserve natural aspheric corneal shape and to maintain an improved quality of vision.
- The procedure is performed in controlled situations taking into account sterility, humidity, temperature to maintain high hygiene standards.
- Unique quality of machine
- The wavefront optimised ablation gives better quality of vision
- It has fastest ever speed of 400 HZ – requires less time for surgery
- Smallest spot size with low pulse energy assures tissue level safety
- Wavikar Eye Institute is also credited with the first installation of Bladeless Cataract Surgery technology “The LenSx platform” in this part of the world (OCTOBER 2011). The same platform is NOW upgraded to incorporate Bladeless Lasik.
- The bladeless Lasik procedure applies the femtosecond laser technique for creation of Lasik flap
- We have successfully completed procedure for eyes since its inception
The Bladeless advantage
Why go Bladeless ?
The flap created by blade is thinner in the center (meniscus flap) whereas the flap created by laser is of uniform thickness (planar flap). This feature along with customized edges ensures that the flap snugly fits in place after Lasik which is claimed to give better quality of vision as compared to microkeratome flap.
Femtosecond flap can be customized in a much better way as a result of which many aspects of flap making are under the control of the operating surgeon. The flap can be adjusted according to patient needs for better results.
Although the incidence is quite low, the microkeratome has a set of complications in construction of the flap. The inherent design of Femtosecond technology ensures that some of these complications are eliminated altogether and incidence of some complications decreases significantly.
The Bladeless Cataract and Bladeless Lasik with LenSx are both individually approved by USFDA.( United States Food & Drug Administration ).It means that before allowing this machine for commercial use, the USA Government (USFDA) has conducted rigorous tests and analysis of the results to ensure higher level of patient safety.
The flap thickness achieved by femtosecond laser is in the range of plus or minus 5 microns of the intended thickness as compared to microkeratome which has a variation of plus or minus 30 microns. This quality helps the surgeon and benefits the patient in many ways.
The Bladeless Lasik is also known as ”All Laser Lasik”.
Advantages of Lensx Bladeless Flap Maker
Lensx flap maker requires lower pressure to fix to the eye. This means lesser pain and more comfort for the patient. The procedure is also gentle on the eye.
The energy used by this laser is lower as compared to other femtosecond Laser platforms. This leaves the eye as if untouched.
Ensures better safety and more comfort for surgeon and faster recovery for patient.
LASIK WITH BLADE (Wavefront guided LASIK)
- The with blade wavefront guided Lasik not only corrects the refractive error but also corrects higher order corneal aberrations which provides enhanced vision quality.
- The Blade LASIK procedure applies the microkeratome technique for creation of Lasik flap
THE WAVEFRONT ADVANTAGE
- The correction of higher order corneal aberrations reduces post LASIK glares and halos as well as the images are crisper and clearer.
- The amount of Laser provided is precise and hence improves the outcome
- Wavefront guided LASIK is more economical and safe technology for refractive error correction